Thursday, September 5, 2013

Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake

As I have bluntly stated before...I am a horrible cook. It is still a mystery why, because my madre is a great cook and I feel as though I'm good at following directions. But for some reason every time I try to get ambitious in the kitchen it ends up going horribly wrong. It never fails that I end up leaving something out, adding to much, or overlooking a step which results in my dish being tossed in the woods for the raccoons.

So when I decided to make this  Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake that I found on Pinterest, I warned my hubby yet again that it could turn into a scary nightmare and to brace himself.

Butttt...to his surprise and mine it was good, not great but good! I only missed 1 step in the directions...(which only happen because I got interrupted by having to run outside and yell at the dog for trying to dig to catch a mole). 
So in my book I call that WINNING!  

Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake
  • 2 medium-sized zucchini, cut in slices or half-moon slices 
  • 2 medium-sized yellow squash, cut in slices or half-moon slices.
  • 2-4 T chopped fresh basil (or even less, depending on how much you like the flavor of basil) 
  • 2 T thinly sliced green onion 
  • 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
  • 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup low-fat white cheese (I used Pizza Cheese, which is a low-fat blend of Mozzarella, Provolone, Romano, and Parmesan)
  • 1/2 cup coarsely grated Parmesan (I would use a little less if you only have the very finely grated Parmesan from a can) 
  • Salt & Pepper to taste.

 photo image-57.jpg

-Preheat oven to 350F/180C.  Spray an 8" x 8" baking dish with olive oil or non-stick spray.  Wash the squash and cut in slices or half-moon slices.  Wash basil, spin dry or dry with paper towels and finely chop.  Slice green onions.

-Combine the sliced squash, chopped basil, sliced green onions, dried thyme, garlic powder, and both kinds of cheese and stir together until the veggies are coated with cheese and the herbs are well-distributed.  Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper.  Put the mixture in the baking dish and bake uncovered for about 25-30 minutes.

-When the zucchini is nearly cooked through, take the casserole dish out of the oven and sprinkle over the remaining 1/2 cup of grated cheese.  Put the dish back in the oven and bake 10-15 minutes 
longer, or until the cheese is melted and nicely browned and zucchini is fully cooked.  Serve hot.



10 comments:

  1. Amen!! I'm a terrible cook, and just like you, I'll never understand because I follow directions well. Cameron almost always takes over when we try something new (and when it's not new lol) it used to be because dinner time was the toughest with the girls but now that's not the case!

    This looks delicious by the way!!! Yummm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! At least one of you 2 can cook though! Lol!

      Delete
  2. Not a fan of zucchini. lol I hate veggies. Would you like to button swap?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Well this recipe isn't for u then! I love to swap buttons! Ill grab yours this evening when I get on my laptop! :)

      Delete
  3. This looks so yummy! I can't wait to try it. I am a horrible cook so fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this recipe has all the pontential to be great if it is cooked by anybody but me! Haha! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks way too good! My mom (by the way, I call my mom madre too, funny!!) loves cookie with zucchini. She likes to roast it also. And I'm a big fan of cheese so this is perfect!!! Pizza cheese is my favorite. Just enough mixture of it all. You arent alone though, the only way I can cook is if there are directions. And even that. Making Pasta Roni side dishes and tacos are pretty much my specialty. When my mom goes to work, she'll prepare the dinner and all I have to do is slip it in the oven. lol. My fiance took culinary in school yet he doesnt cook, go figure!

    So glad to find your blog!

    http://happinessisntadestination.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by! :) Roasted zucchini sounds totally delicious!

      Delete
  6. Looks delish! Thanks for sharing! I just nominated your blog for the Liebster Award :)

    http://huggiesandheels.blogspot.com/2013/09/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete